Using Al Anon Slogans to Heal Negative Thoughts, Depression

Depression is a lonely, scary condition. You feel like no one has ever felt like you feel. While I don't know exactly what you're feeling or what happened to cause your depression, I empathize. Depression and I go back a long way. I've tried many different techniques to heal or at least just cope with my it.

About 10 years ago, I tried Al Anon, the companion support group for Alcoholics Anonymous for a drinking issue. I discovered that Al Anon principles were useful for treating a gamut of emotional issues, including depression. See, depression stems from that stinking thinking they're always talking about in AA/Al-Anon. Usually codependency is somewhere tangled up in the roots. Recovery for me requires new self-talk, new I-messages.

Some of the most helpful components of Al-Anon, for me, are the recovery slogans. Addiction A-Z lists a collection of slogans for all different sorts of situations. There are general helpful reality checks and mental health tools, too.  Here's how I use them in recovery. Using Al-Anon Slogans to Heal Negative Thoughts, Depression . If you're feeling despair and you can't find help, get to a meeting. If you can't, check out Daily Strength.org. Remember--one day at a time. This too shall pass--and it will, I promise. 

Follow by Email

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo

Freelance writer, Top 100 Yahoo! Voices, Yahoo! News, Shine, Michigan, Detroit), blogger, teacher, mom of 4, happily married 25 years. Graduated GVSU 1986, psychology/general education and special education. continuing ed up to present. Certified MI teacher. Writing Michigan history mystery, children's Gothic fantasy. Areas of expertise: education, relationships, mental health, nutrition, history, world cultures. Passions: faith, Catholic church, sustainable living, interfaith initiatives, living simply that others might simply live. Working on MA in EI education. 

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews